[Asterisk-Users] VoicePulse DTMF Problems Anyone?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jun 11 11:55:54 MST 2005

> > > I didn't find it either.  I put it in the config anyway but it didn't
> > > seem to make a difference.  I also tried changing the call codec to
> > > ulaw but that had no significant change either.
> > >
> > > I am taking in 6 six digits maybe other people are experiencing this
> > > but I see it more because of the length of the digitas being taken in.
> >
> > Did you see the "Type: DTMF  Subclass: 3" (for pressing the "3" digit)
> > in the iax debug?
>
> I see that for SIP calls but I do not see a per digit basis for IAX calls.
>

> > If you're seeing those, then codec selection has nothing to do with it.
> >
> > We take in four digits on a regular basis with no errors at all. I would
> > doubt the number of digits has anything to do with it; it either has
> > accurate dtmf interpretation or you don't on a per digit basis.
>
> How can I turn on per digit readings with IAX?

By doing "iax2 debug" and arranging an inbound call where someone presses
the dtmf keypad. Debug will create a fair amount of cli output and you
have to look closely for "Type: DTMF Subclass: 3" messages intermingled
in the cli output.

If you are not seeing any of those, then voicepulse is sending the dtmf
via inband audio tones. The accuracy of inband audio tones will be less
then if the dtmf digits are sent within iax packets (Type: dtmf). If they
are arriving via inband audio, that's likely your problem as any missed
or dropped iax frames will seriously distort the dtmf audio. Asterisk
won't be able to detect the correct digit.

Since you indicated that sometimes it works and other times it doesn't,
that probably is indicative of network congestion between the two
endpoints (your asterisk and voicepulse) and missed or dropped packets.