[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail and MS Exchange

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Fri Jun 10 07:03:04 MST 2005

That's a concern, especially since bugs in current Asterisk versions require
you to use uncompressed WAV files to get acceptable volume levels.  However,
this *is* a common configuration for other products.  We used to have a
CallXpress system that used Exchange as a message store.  It stored voice
messages in people's Exchange mailboxes, and could even read email messages
over the phone via text-to-speech.  The interface with Exchange was kind of
kludgy, though, and not entirely reliable.  It actually used a copy of
Outlook on the voicemail server to talk to Exchange.

> I would have thought that most Exchange clients are most likely to be
> Outlook based, who could use pst & Imap (Or pop3 if asterisk
> could auto
> forward and then delete voice mail) to retrieve voicemail via
> email without
> having to worry about central Exchange issues.

IMAP is no good.  Outlook, at least in older versions, cannot handle both an
IMAP account and an Exchange account at the same time.  (They can do POP3
and Exchange together, though.)

A voicemail app that used an IMAP server as its message store would still be
a nice feature, though.  It might even work with Exchange, which can act as
an IMAP server.