[Asterisk-Users] Do I need a ring capacitor to use TDM400P cards in UK

Henry Coleman henry.coleman at voip-pbx.ca
Wed Jun 8 14:50:38 MST 2005

Hi Angus,
If you connect the phone directly to the outside line will it ring ?
The ring from the C.O. provides a  >90volt AC (30cps) and is capable of
ringing a standard phone ( a real two tone gong bell)  My guess is that
the TDM400 card does not supply enough current to actually do this. Most
modern phones have an electronic ringer which requires a fraction of the
power and will work fine.

I don't quite understand the reference to a capacitor unless your phone
is as old as I am  in which case the phone has 2 x pairs of  wires going
to the phone plug. The first pair of wires are the "voice pair" and the
second pair are connected to the "ringer" if this is the case  your
phone will  work normally but simply doesn't ring.
The fix is to connect two capacitors approx  *0.15 uf  250vw *from each
wire of the voice pair to each wire of the ring pair  (you can do this
inside the phone jack)
This should not cost much (about a dollar) and can be found in any
electronics component shop (try Maplin electronics) . Concidering the
time and effort you might want to buy a new phone.

                                     0.1uf
Wall Jack
 TDM400                  | ---||-----------yellow-------0
                                     0.1uf