[Asterisk-Users] hardware question

Michel Brabants michel.linux at tiscali.be
Wed Jun 8 13:04:17 MST 2005

Heya,

I'm going to work on a voip project and we're going to setup an
asterisk-server. We want to test a little bit with a connection to a
pstn-line and a connection to a bri-line. I looked around a bit to see
what we needed and I want to ask if I understand the naming correctly:

FXS = pstn-signals for calling someone (towards central pbx/server) and
knowing that someone is calling you
FXO = ...?
ATA = connecting potstelephone to lan/computer/... other protocol

What I don't understand is that ATA-devices which only have an FXS-port
 are also able to recieve calls or not? So, what is the difference with
an FXO-interface?

So, since for now we'll only need to be able to talk to one pots line
(and one bri-line), we'll need one FXS-interface (to recieve siand

I've had a look at the digium hardware-store since I wanted to be sur
eit will work with asterisk.

For pstn, I suppose a "TDM400P" with one FXS and one FXO module(?). I
also saw the "Asterisk Developpers kit  PCI" which fullfils these
requirements, which states that it is only for Asterisk-developpers.
But, in the description at the top it states taht it is for IT
developpers/students who want to begin working with the Asterisk platform.

I didn't see a bri-adapter on the digium-site, only pri it seems. Any
recommendation on that or is there a bri-adapter from digium. I'm also
open to other vendors. I saw that there are others which ar ecompatible
with asterisk, but I don't have a lot of time and want to be sure that
it works with asterisk. I have had a look at the mISDN-hardwarepage. I
suppose I can choose any bri-card that is supported by them? Is mISDN
supported by asterisk?

I saw that on the page of the "Asterisk Developpers kit PCI" it states
that one needs linux 2.4. I have asterisk 1.0.6 installed on this
computer and it seems to have drivers for 2.6. So, the question: does
the hardware works with linux 2.6.x-kernels?

thanks,

Michel Brabants