[Asterisk-Users] Echo problem

Jon Califf jon at silverstarcabinets.com
Wed Jun 8 11:54:19 MST 2005

I use Digium TDM400 cards as well. Asterisk's software echo cancellation
sucks. From what I've heard on the IRC channel, you'll never completely
eliminate echo with it. And unfortunately, hardware echo cancellation starts
out at a full T1. They don't seem to have any solution for someone with 4
pots lines like myself.

I haven't been able to completely eliminate echo, but I've come close by
using the following:

echocancel=64
echocancelwhenbridged=no
echotraining=800
rxgain=4.5
txgain=0.0

echocancel=64 was significantly better than echocancel=128 (supposedly the
same setting you get when you use echocancel=yes)

echotraining at 400 was too short, but 800 seems to almost completely
eliminate any initial echo. Occasionally there is still a little echo to
start with, but it isn't very bad and it goes away quickly.

What sort of echo are you getting? Loud, quiet, fades in and out, starts
halfway through the call, starts loud and gets quit?

Jon