[Asterisk-Users] Gnudialer

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Tue Jun 7 17:44:39 MST 2005

Hello,

I'm the lead developer of astGUIclient(with VICIDIAL) and I tried GnuDialer
a little while ago. It is different in several ways from how VICIDIAL
operates:
- Gnudialer is partially compiled into Asterisk and uses Asterisk agents
while VICIDIAL operates entirely on top of a stock Asterisk installation and
uses it's own agent/queue system.
- Gnudialer can use any kind of trunk(I think, we only tested it with Zap)
while VICIDIAL is limited to IAX2 or Zap trunks
  NOTE: It is much more efficient to use IAX2 trunks than SIP trunks
especially if you have many concurrent connections to the same provider,
that's one major reason to use IAX2 trunks instead of SIP trunks.
- VICIDIAL is more involved to get installed although there is a very large
and comprehensive installation documentation section while Gnudialer is
easier to install if you know what you're doing.
- VICIDIAL allows multiple campaigns across multiple servers meaning you can
have 8 Asterisk servers with 150 agents all dialing the same campaign at the
same time.
- VICIDIAL allows for several options not available to Gnudialer like
unlimited campaign-specific disposition codes, a custom dial-timeout for
outbound calls, non-connected remote-agent capacity, easily configurable
3-way calling/DTMF macros/blind-transfer, fronter to closer capability,
agent click-to-record and easy manager call monitoring and barge-in.
- VICIDIAL has very detailed web-based administration with real-time agent,
campaign and performance reports.

The documention for Gnudialer is not very developed, but it has only been
around for 5 months so far and I'm sure that the documentation will grow as
it grows and has a larger user-base.

VICIDIAL does require a perl/TK app to run on the agent computer to
facilitate the display of customer information and to allow for
call-termination/recording/park/etc... We are currently developing a
real-time web-only VICIDIAL interface(much like the astGUIclient web-app
that we released last week) that should be ready by the end of August. We
also plan on having SIP-trunk compatibility by the end of August.

If one of the Gnudialer developers is monitoring this I would love to learn
about some more of the new features coming to Gnudialer.

Hope this helps,

MATT---