[Asterisk-Users] Issue with IAXy in Canada?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jun 7 05:24:21 MST 2005

> > I tested IAXy with my asterisk server in US, using both DSL. It was
> > working
> > fine.
> > I gave it to my friend who was traveling to Canada. He is saying that it
> > is
> > not working with "Rogers Cable".  It is getting busy tone after 20-30
> > seconds.
> >
> > Is it possibly port blocking? or any other problem.
>
> I know for a fact Rogers does/did block some ports. Specifically I have
> seen issues with both nntp and smtp unless you connect to their servers. I
> have had various issues with iax on their network but it was with
> latency/echo issues we were never able to really pin down, not just the
> port being outright blocked, but that is not to say it isn't now.
>
> To check do a traceroute from a unix machine and specify the port to use
> as the iax port, you'll soon see if and where it is blocked.

Most of this is getting a little off topic, but there are a fair number
of isp's that deploy layer 4/5 equipment to throttle user's
consuming bandwidth. It's far more common that one might think.
Blocking selected ports is also rather common, but the majority of
those blocked are related to specific virus/trojan issues that most
security types understand fairly well.