[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Website Update: Asterisk Business Edition

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jun 6 16:19:19 MST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 17:11, William Waites wrote:
> If you're interested, take a closer look. chan_sip.c, some time ago.
> Miscellaneous bug fixes. But a whole lot, and not for a long time.

I stand corrected; thanks for taking me to task on it.  :-)

> The reason for the "not for a long time" is because I feared that Digium
> would create a proprietary version. The disclaimers seemed to explicitly
> allow for that.
>
> It was claimed at the time that this wouldn't happen, but now it apparently
> has. Unfortunately.

I don't know, I've got no problem with them dual-licensing it.  I am saving a
pile of money and getting a ton of features I'd never have in my normal PBX,
plus I can piss around with phone system internals.  If Asterisk didn't give
away their code and let others have the chance at forking it and making a ton
of money, I'd never have that opportunity.

If they want to sell a version for big money to people who have more money
than time, that's just fine by me.

> Though I may have written bluntly, the fact that people are resorting
> to ad hominem attacks, suggests that I have a point.

Nah, you just come across as "I want it for free, and Digium has no right to
make a buck off other's contributions."  Nobody at Digium puts a gun to
anyone's head to make them contribute for free.  If the itch is strong
enough, people scratch it.

The itch wasn't strong enough for you, and that's your choice.  I feel that
blasting Digium for excercising their right to do this is in poor taste,
though.

-A.