[Asterisk-Users] Any thoughts

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at m2j.com.br
Mon Jun 6 06:35:51 MST 2005

I have the following requirement:
ISP with a single E1 line needs to accept incoming dial-up calls and use
Asterisk to place/receive voice calls with the same E1. Available hardware is
Cisco AS5300 (RAS with modem cards) and Asterisk with TDM405.

From what I read about the Cisco, it can't be used connected directly to the
outside E1 with a second E1 interface between Cisco and Asterisk to bypass
all calls that aren't the dial up number to Asterisk, as well as allowing
Asterisk to dial out using the E1. If anybody can show me how this can be
done on the Cisco side, I'll gladly pay US$ 200 via Paypal after I verify
that it works. Just to make sure, this config would be:

ISDN E1->Cisco AS5300 (with a quad E1 card)->Asterisk with single E1 card

And what I'm willing to pay is for the Cisco config to achieve that. Asterisk
needs to be able to receive incoming calls and place outgoing calls, with the
Cisco only answering calls to a single number out of the 100 phone numbers
the E1 has.

The remaining option is:

ISDN E1->Asterisk with TDM400P card->Cisco AS5300

There my concern is frame slips, causing performance degradation for the
dial-up calls. I have a Intel motherboard with Pentium 4 to setup Asterisk
with, so I think I'm using the highest spec MoBo to handle the TDM400P.

On this last option, has anybody been able to have such a system working
reliably, and for that I mean, being able to do Fax or Data calls with
Asterisk in the middle, and on the other end either a Digital RAS, or a PBX
with Fax machine/dial-up users. The criteria for dial-up would be to
successfully deal with V.90 calls at rates higher than 40 kbps, and no
noticeable degradation from having the E1/T1 line conected directly to the
PBX or the RAS box.

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo Pacheco
M2J Comunicações e Informática