[Asterisk-Users] CLUELESS NEWBIE needs help making an outbound sip call to PSTN

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jun 6 04:42:18 MST 2005

> How does one differentiate betweek Asterisk CVS HEAD or CVS STABLE?
>
> I go to the website (asterisk.org) and they simply give instructions on
> how to download the latest source.
>
> Only one version...
>
> What exactly is "HEAD" and how do you download that vs. the normal or
> stable release?

On this page: http://www.asterisk.org/index.php?menu=download

you will see:
# cvs checkout zaptel libpri asterisk

and

# cvs checkout -r v1-0 zaptel libpri asterisk asterisk-addons asterisk-sounds

The second one contains "-r v1-0" in the string, meaning Stable v1.0
code. The first one is cvs-head (development). (If you don't need
the asterisk-addons or any additional asterisk-sounds, then simply
leave those off.)

When Russell decides he's applied all of the patches/fixes that are
outstanding for Stable, he (or someone) will package everything into
a single file download and make it available on the ftp site as v1.0.7
or whatever the next version number happens to be.

If you want to monitor what is being applied to both cvs-head and
Stable, subscribe to the asterisk-cvs list. In most cases, bug tracker
numbers are included in those postings. Watch for the v1 tag in the
postings.

Bug fixes are almost always applied to cvs-head (development) first.
If the bug fix also pertains to Stable, Russell then applies it to
Stable. For the most part, the Stable version does not include any
new features.