[Asterisk-Users] Digium G729 licensing - is it worth the trouble?

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Mon Jun 6 02:55:42 MST 2005

Yes, I use the phones on a LAN and don't care about the bandwidth, then
allow Asterisk to transcode to GSM for trunked calls. I was using G729 all
the way, but the licensing stuff caused me too many problems.

WHen I messed up the licensing by allowing the order of the modules to be
reversed, thereby putting eth0 and eth1 on different NICs, it was a holiday
weekend, and I was not able to get anyone at Digium until Tuesday. They
still would not permit the relicensing. We ended up three days without the
codecs we paid for, and so I had to re-engineer the system, moving the
phones to uLaw and using gsm at both ends of the trunk. For reliability
reasons I would not advise g729. If you lose a NIC, or you are using the
motherboard's interface and it fails, you will have to relicense. If that
fails, you have to restructure everything.

Chris Mason
www.anguillaguide.com
Tel:  (305) 704-7249 Fax: (815)301-9759

  _____