[Asterisk-Users] Digium G729 licensing - is it worth the trouble?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Jun 5 08:51:15 MST 2005

>I realize they have piracy problems, but that's their problem. I paid for
>the codecs, and I think I should be able to use them. People who are
>avoiding the licenses don't call you up to tell you. I don't mind having to
>call and let them know why I need to re-register, but I did not expect to be
>refused.

I think you're hitting a major problem here with copy protection
schemes: once you've managed to find a way to get around them it's
actually /more convenient/ to use an 'illegal' copy than a legit,
licensed one.

I think that all it should need to make a codec re-registrable is press
a button on some webpage that would send you a confirmation email to
make sure that you are the rightful owner of the codec.

It's just very annoying when you've paid money just to make your life
harder than if you didn't.

>So now I am moving my trunking to gsm, and keeping the office phones uLaw,
>allowing Asterisk to transcode. I don't notice a lot of difference in
>quality and I have the flexibility of changing network cards anytime I want.
>Is there any real reason to put up with the licensing issues for G729?

It takes less bandwith, and MOS is better. It's not very tolerant to
packet loss though, so iLBC is a good contender instead of GSM.

--
Ykoz Un Max - La VoIP en pré-payé!
Essayez gratuitement - 5 crédits offerts.