E911 Legislation (was) Re: [Asterisk-Users] VoiPSupply Dot Com

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sat Jun 4 02:27:29 MST 2005

I know I shouldn't feed a troll, but.......

Personally, I think that it is completely reasonable for people offering VOIP to PSTN termination services to pay for E911 when they offer such termination services to customers as primary telephone lines.  I know taxes are unpopular with some people,  but our emergency response infrastructure needs to be supported somehow.

Now, you might have a point if you pointed out that you may have too many tax juristictions involved to make it work.  But this is a matter of implimentation, not a matter of the concept.  Maybe we need some reform in how this is handled to accomodate VOIP but saying that those who provide gateway services to the PSTN are not responsible for helping support our emergency services  on the PSTN is simply crazy.  We are not talking about "VOIP" here per se, but rather the connectivity to and from the PSTN.

Secondly, I assume that you want fair competition.  In that case, you can either get rid of E911 service entirely or force non-traditional telecoms to comply.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting