[Asterisk-Users] Re: ztdummy errors on WBEL4

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 01:15:40 MST 2005

In article <1117859107.5928.31.camel at ltsp>,  <geek at mnwifi.net> wrote:
> zaptel compiles fine (make linux26) but when I modprobe ztdummy I get
> the follow error.
>
> [root at localhost zaptel]# modprobe ztdummy
> Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
> line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'
>
> 1 error(s) detected
>
> FATAL: Error running install command for ztdummy
>

> System info:
>

> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-5.0.5.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu May 19 19:24:44
> CDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> zaptel from June 3 2005

It's probably not your zaptel.conf that's the problem. Here's a list of
things to check:

1. Have you got the following lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

# Section for zaptel device
KERNEL="zapctl",     NAME="zap/ctl"
KERNEL="zaptimer",   NAME="zap/timer"
KERNEL="zapchannel", NAME="zap/channel"
KERNEL="zappseudo",  NAME="zap/pseudo"
KERNEL="zap[0-9]*",  NAME="zap/%n"

2. You need to modprobe zaptel first, and then wait a few seconds for
udev to create the /dev/zap device entries.

3. Then you can modprobe ztdummy

4. A much easier way of doing 2 and 3 is to do "make config" in the
zaptel directory, which will install an init script in /etc/rc.d/init.d,
and you can then do "chkconfig zaptel on" to make it start up on boot.
Having installed the script, you can start zaptel and ztdummy without
rebooting by doing "service zaptel start".

You will need to change the MODULES and RMODULES lines in that script
to have just ztdummy in the list.

I also found on some systems I had to increase the value of TMOUT in that
script to give udev time to do its thing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Tony
--