[Asterisk-Users] 4 port BRI options ?

Gavin Hamill gdh at laterooms.com
Fri Jun 3 06:39:48 MST 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 14:28, Nardis Dome wrote:
> --- "Brett, Gary" <gary.brett at cetelem.co.uk> wrote:
> > Is the Eicon that much better ?
>
> sorry, i have only experience with Eicon... maybe
> someone else is able to give a feedback...

Aside from paying for a recognised brand name, with Eicon you get on-board
DSPs and firmware, as well as software to make the card appear as a series
of /dev/tty devices (and/ or CAPI) under Linux.

The Junghanns BRI boards have no such on-board logic, they are pure telephone
interfaces driven by the host - and as such they are /perfect/ for Asterisk.

We use an Eicon Diva Server 4BRI for our fax server because of the TTY
interface for Hylafax - the DSPs themselves do all the fax negotiation /
compression and it works extremely well.

However, we're also running * on that machine via CAPI, and the board gives us
the flexibility to share 8 channels between * and Hylafax really easily :)

Cheers,
Gavin.