[Asterisk-Users] Ring but now audio on answer

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Fri Jun 3 06:06:39 MST 2005

Garth Brown wrote:

> I have my Asterisk server all setup. But have an odd problem and hope
> someone here can help.
>
> I have a Polycom IP 300, a Grandstream GXP-2000, and an installation
> of X-Lite. They can each call each other just fine
> (extension-to-extension). I can also dial-in from the outside (via
> Broadvoice) and can leave and retrieve voicemails. When I set ANY of
> the extensions (clients mentioned above) to the default extension from
> the SIP provider, the phone rings and shows CID – BUT, when I answer
> the phone, there is no audio either way.
>
> I thought this was a firewall issue but the clients ring and I CAN
> leave and retrieve voicemail. My next assumption is that it is some
> codec issue. The Polycom defaults to G.711u. I’ve tried changing this
> to G.729AB – but there problem persisted.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I recently got a Polycom IP 300 and am having a similiar problem. I
normally use Cisco 7940's and 60's but decided to try a less expensive
phone. On the same LAN, the 300 can make calls just fine, and check
voicemail. If a Cisco phone calls the Polycom, the phone rings, but when
answered there is no audio either direction. The codecs appear to match
up between the phones. The * CLI shows the Polycom as registered fine,
also. I'll keep you posted if I figure something out.

Mark