[Asterisk-Users] * found in Iraq!!

Mark Phillips kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Fri Jun 3 03:46:01 MST 2005

So I'm on the phone with an Army office in Iraq as part of my other
paying job (I'm a radio journalist) and we got to talking about the
technology I was using at my end to record our conversation (I called
him from my * box) when to my total amazement he announced that they
were running Asterisk around the camp.

It seems that the PBX they had shipped out from the US arrived in "kit
form" and thus left them without facilities. One of their Civil Affairs
guys is a Linux Guru in his real life and so knocked something up from a
few scruffy PC's they had lying about. They are using Grand Stream
phones that they have their relatives send them out.

Next time you are "throwing out" equipment perhaps you'd give the boys
in Camp Slayer, Baghdad a thought. We know how under equipped they are
and it seems that it doesn't just run to weapons/armour.

Salaam Aleichem!

--

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ