[Asterisk-Users] Will my CPU/RAM be sufficient?

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:36:22 MST 2005

> I expect to have 8 concurrent calls maximum.
<snip>

> I guess the disk, the RAM and the NIC will do, but I'll suggest a P4 instead
> of a Celewrong, as 128k cache is a little low.

I surprised there are no enthusiast here trying to push things a their
limit a bit... if all he's doing is data shuffling (gsm from files to
network, etc) and little transcoding, this machine will do. I mean, I
run a PII-400 Mhz that handles IAX-SIP conversion for ulaw as well as
some transcoding (ulaw <-> g726 or gsm) and it has no issues with 6
concurrent calls. Why shouldn't a 1.7 GHz processor or newer
generation be able to do that also? It's impressive how much a PII-400
is capable of...

However, 256 MB RAM would be highly recommended so you don't end up
swapping a lot of stuff out.

--Luki