[Asterisk-Users] a simple call to my girlfriend

Hendrik Wouters hwouters at pandora.be
Thu Jun 2 03:51:23 MST 2005

Hi,

Some background:

I would like to call my girlfriend over the internet. We are both behind a nat
router and I want to avoid portmapping.
I've heard that you can call someone behind a firewall (nat router) with the
IAX protocol, but I'm not sure.

The questions:

Do I have to set up my own PBX asterisk server or are there any other (free)
servers where I can register on and connect to?

Which is the best (linux) client to call someone with IAX?

Thanks in advance

Greetings Hendrik

P.S. I don't want to use skype (not open standard, it still doens't work well
in Linux and eats al the time of my old laptop CPU).