[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk Box as a Router, Firewall and DHCP Server

Ben Buxton bb.ast at ml.cactii.net
Thu Jun 2 02:02:31 MST 2005

Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> uttered the following thing:
> In article <20050602052842.99615.qmail at web50108.mail.yahoo.com>,
> Samy Antoun <samyantoun at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > It really depends on what kind of load that cpu is
> > > going to have. There's no
> > > technical problems with doing the above. Except I
> > > don't see the point with
> > > having a dhcp server, unless you are an ISP.
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Thank you for the valuable advice, I'll do exactly
> > what you are suggesting, No DHCP
>
> I find DHCP on my LAN extremely useful for both my and visiting laptops.
> Any machine that will be using my LAN regularly gets a static entry in
> /etc/dhcpd.conf so it will always get the same IP address. It also gets
> an entry in my local DNS.
>
> That would address Steve's concerns regarding traceability.

Agreed - I used to NOT have dhcp, but found it tedious when I had guest
machines and the like. For (semi) permanent machines, use a static entry
in dhcpd.conf so they retain the same IP address. And have a small
separate address range so that guest machines can be easily connected
and identified as guests.

> Regarding the original question, yes, I very successfully use a Linux
> box (Athlon XP2400) as Router (USB ADSL modem), firewall, mail server,
> news server, DHCP server, DNS server (for LAN) and Asterisk server.

Just like me :) I'm running an Athlon 1800+ with similar functions,
including an X100P for PSTN access and have no issues at all. The
benefit of running * on the gateway is that you can easily log your
softphones in when on the move without weird hole punching.

BB