[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Google API applications - $4500 bounties available

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Wed Jun 1 07:10:48 MST 2005

In conjunction with my last post on Tellme I want to write another
suggestion for an application I had.

I don't know if you guys have come across Google Gas
http://www.ahding.com/cheapgas

But basically it is an application that this guy has developed using the
Google API to search an online database on gas prices in your area.

One of my strong beliefs about how Asterisk is going to leave the
"Commercial" IP-PBX vendors behind is by leveraging the open source
community to write voice driven applications for Asterisk. The weather
app written for asterisk at home is great example.
(http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3004652 the WAF on this
was worth setting up asterisk alone, she checks this every morning for
NY weather).

I was also hoping that the www.tellme.com <http://www.tellme.com/>  and
www.studio.tellme.com <http://www.studio.tellme.com/>  tools would also
stimulate this area. People should also check out www.angel.com
<http://www.angel.com/>  for other ideas on best of breed speech
applications.

The suggestion I would like to make is that someone use the Google api
to write code for a directions application.

You could use Tellme to deliver the current address and the destination
address into the Google API and then use text to speech to read back the
directions. With enough finessing this could compete with any of the
current commercial direction solutions that are out there and because
it's asterisk your cost base could be extremely minimal.

Hell you might even get paid for it
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

Just a suggestion, any thoughts? Are there any other speech driven apps
being used today?

Cheers,

Dean