[Asterisk-Users] IAX Huge Delays after Hold or Transfer

Robert Christian robert at composite-tech.com
Fri Jul 29 13:28:20 MST 2005

In some configuration experiments, I have one IAX softphone connecting over
the internet to my Asterisk system.  (I should note that, while there IS a
NAT firewall between Asterisk and the public Internet, I have port
forwarding set up on that firewall to send all IAX traffic to the Asterisk
machine.)

The IAX softphone connects to either an analog phone on an FXS port on the
Asterisk server, or a SIP phone on its local network.

When I make or receive calls from this IAX softphone, everything works fine.
However, if one side of the conversation initiates a hold for more than a
couple seconds, the synchronization gets all off.  When the hold is ended,
there is up to sometimes 30 seconds or more of latency.  Sometimes it's
shorter - 5 to 15 seconds, and those seem to "catch-up" after a few minutes.
This also happens with transfers, which don't carry the music-on-hold.  With
real short hold times (a second or two), the sudden synchronization problem
is much less pronounced - a second or two perhaps.  The longer delays don't
seem to ever catch up - or at least not within a couple minutes, beyond
which, I haven't tested.

This occurs with or without the jitter buffer.

Has anyone else experienced this?  And if so, I would appreciate if someone
could point me in the right direction to make this issue go away.

I'm fine with the normal latency caused by the internet link, but right now,
hold is completely unusable.

Thanks in advance.

- Robert