[Asterisk-Users] most stable linux to build business

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 28 17:15:50 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:12 -0400, Geoff Manning wrote:
> wassim darwish wrote:
> > what is the most stable linux that we can build
> > business on it, i mean the best linux a linux without
> > problems .
> >

> You're probably asking the wrong people, well the *right* people but the
> *wrong* forum. A lot of people here will have opinions of their favorite
> linux distro but the fact is, there are many very stable distro's. And it
> depends on your needs.

This question however does come up enough and since asterisk is
primarily a linux app (yes it works in freebsd and such but ...)

The stability of linux is largely based on the kernel.  Only if there is
a bug in the kernel itself can a userspace app take it down through
normal means (DoS attacks I am not counting for stability purposes).

Given that all distros use basically the same kernel they will all be
roughly the same in terms of stability.  The distros differ in default
userspace apps, how new apps are installed, etc.  Given that you may
want to refine your question a bit.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378