[Asterisk-Users] Stumped on vMail problem, any ideas?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Thu Jul 28 14:46:34 MST 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 1:10 AM, Brian Capouch wrote:

> Howard Leadmon wrote:
>
>>  Oh trust me, I have tried, so far you're the only one that has
>> even bothered
>> to respond, which I appreciate.    I'll eventually figure it out,
>> or get
>> pissed off enough at AAH I rip it out and build everything up from
>> scratch
>> that I learn every in and out along the way.
>>  I just figured it was probably something simple I was
>> overlooking, and
>> someone on the list would slap me and say hey you did xx, or
>> forgot to do y,
>> but guess no such luck...
>>

> Why would you think someone on *this* list could help you with a
> problem with AAH?
>
> It's OK by me for people to ask things like that here (it's not OK
> with a few others) but you can't be surprised that nobody
> responded.  AH has its own list, where people who use AAH can talk
> about that and nothing else all day long.
>
> You are finding out the Big Limitation of the "we'll worry about
> the smarts; you just start it up and run" types of GUI-based
> helpers.  If it doesn't work, then what?
>
> In virtually every case I know of, people find themselves boxed in
> by products such as AAH, which indeed simplify things for
> beginners, but are extremely limited in their flexibility.
>
> B.

This is somewhat misleading. If you are going to do massive
customizing of every aspect of the system, AMP will likely be a
hindrance. However, AMP and AAH users can edit their
extensions_custom.conf files to their hearts' content,  and add
anything that non AMP users can add. If you take some time and look
at the built-in functions, contexts, etc, you can customize what you
need, within reason.

The nice thing about AMP and AAH is that, if you have fairly standard
needs for a phone system (ie: auto-attendants, extensions (ZAP,SIP,
or IAX), Voicemail, ring groups, etc, it is all there already. You
don't learn as much by installing it, but you also don't have to beat
your head against the wall to build it up from scratch.

Tom