[Asterisk-Users] delay on pri dialling when asterisk is spliced between E1-Pri and legacy pbx

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Jul 28 11:41:58 MST 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Frank Sautter wrote:

> one of our customers which wants a soft transfer between his old pbx to
> asterisk and sip. the setup is as follows:
>    telco <---pri---> asterisk <---pri---> legacy pbx
> everything is fine exept that when dialling from the legacy pbx it takes
> about 3 seconds before the asterisk start to dial.
> where does this delay come from?
> has it to do with 'overlapdial=yes'?
>
> here is an excerpt from the logfile (i assume the number is dialled
> enbloc as it come with the redial function of the legacy pbx):

The three second delay sounds like the dial timeout - i.e. asterisk is for
some reason waiting for mor digits. One cause can be that the dialplan
contains a wildcard match "." which can match any number of digits, or the
dialplan can be ambigous (e.g. containing both 345 and 3456 as
extensions).

Instead of using "." in the dialplan (and if the outgoing leg can handle
overlap digits) you can use "!" instead of ".". The exclamation point is a
different wildcard that matches immediatly if it is the only possible
extension remaining.

Normally the "no more digits" marker from the incoming leg would trigger a
"." wildcard to match immediatly. Perhaps the pbx sends the number as
overlap digits, or at least does not set the end of number marker?

Things are much easier to diagnose with a pri intense debug log.

Peter