[Asterisk-Users] Random Behavior on Trunk Lines with TDM Card

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Jul 27 12:10:37 MST 2005

Heath Bowlin wrote:

> We have implemented * in one of our branch offices and recently ran up
> against a very strange issue. On random occasions, when we would dial
> out using our trunk lines, we would get a message stating “you do not
> have to dial a 1 or 0 when calling this number” even if we didn’t dial
> a 1 or 0 in the dial sequence at all. After much troubleshooting, we
> found users with similar issues that simply put a wait (w$EXTEN) in
> the dial sequence and fixed the problems. We did the same and it
> automagically fixed itself. This is great, of course, but I was
> wondering if someone out there could give me a more detailed
> explanation of why this works and why you have to implement this trick
> with some telecom providers and not with others. Verison provides our
> trunks at our branch office, but this issue has never arisen at our
> home office where we have SBC. We are running * v1.0 with a Digium 4
> port FXO TDM card.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Heath Bowlin

Simple
Asterisk with either the X100 or the TDM400 doesn't bother to detect
dialtone.
It simply starts dialing, regardless if the CO is ready or not.
It also doesn't bother to detect lack of battery on the line, indicating
a line might be disconnected.
Even very simple telecom devices, such as dial-up modems, for years now
have had that option.
It escapes me why someone felt this wasn't a necessary provision in Asterisk
Too much time on new bells and whistles, and not enough attention to
detail , I suppose.

Can someone smarter than I turn this into a bug report please?

John Novack