[Asterisk-Users] Registration failed problems/Polycom 500/maybe nat problem?

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 27 08:44:05 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:53 -0400, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> I have sent a Polycom IP500 phone to an overseas remote user who has a
> Speedtouch adsl modem/router. The phone is connected to the 4 port
> router which performs NAT for the network.
> The phone rboots, find the server, downloads it's config and tried to
> register. Then it immediately becomes UNREACHABLE.
>
> Jul 26 17:44:41 NOTICE[21026]: chan_sip.c:9138 handle_request_register:
> Registration from '<sip:816 at 207.44.xxx.xxx>' failed for '209.59.xxx.xxx'
>
> 816/816                    209.59.xxx.xxx     D   N
> 255.255.255.255  10979    UNREACHABLE
>
> I have tried everything I can think of. Is it possible the ISP is
> blocking the SIP packets going back to the phone?

Chris,

I don't know if the ISP is messing with your SIP packets but I can share
my experiences with Alcatel SpeedTouch 510v4 ADSL modems & SIP and they
are not positive with firmware 4.2.7 and older. There is a new firmware
version (4.3.1) that has less braindead NAPT abilities. So far I can
register my Asterisk box with sipgate.de & sipgate.co.uk fine. Perhaps
you could try to upgrade the firmware of the modem. An interesting new
feature is that 4.3.1 allows you to assign the public IP address of your
connection to a LAN device after going through the NAPT rules you have
entered. Pasted from the modem's config webpage:

This page allows you to assign the public IP address of your Internet
Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network...

You might want to do this if:
* You encounter issues with some applications through the Network
Address Translation engine of your SpeedTouch.
* This device is running server applications (web server, ...) and you
want it to be accessible from the internet.
* This device has to be considered as the unique entry to your local
network (DMZ).

Try with ordinary NAPT rules first and if that doesn't work perhaps try
to assign the ADSL IP address to the phone (I don't know about the
security implications though). Good luck!

Regards,
Patrick