[Asterisk-Users] Are busy and congestion behaving differently than documented?

Steve Gladden Asterisk at MichiganBroadband.com
Tue Jul 26 19:42:54 MST 2005

I am using asterisk (2 week old CVS) am for the first time have
been starting to experiment with busy and congestion.

At this point I am only using sip endpoints PAP2-NA devices.
All testing of this is being done on a local network.

my test extension looks like this:

exten => 7777,1,Answer
exten => 7777,2,busy(35)
exten => 7777,3,Hangup

Or like this:

exten => 7777,1,Answer
exten => 7777,2,Playtones(busy)
exten => 7777,2,busy(35)
exten => 7777,3,Hangup

In both cases I seem to be getting the EXACT behaviour.

Asterisk plays a 'busy' signal for 35 seconds
I have also tried this with congestion (instead of busy).

What is strange is that in either case, the busy
tones are coming from asterisk and *not* being locally generated
by the PAP2-NA.

In example #1 I only send a busy status to the PAP2 where I'd expect it
to actually generate the busy audible signal.

It's easily verified by changing the busy tones (regional settings)
in the PAP2 to something other than standard....

No matter what I try I still get the 'standard' busy tones from
asterisk  even if I do not execute Playtones.

The documentation (wiki) suggests that you HAVE TO execute playtones
in order to hear busy tones if the local device does not generate them.

The two strrange thigs I see happening here are

#1 the PAP2-NA is not generating the busy tones
#2 asterisk *is* generating them regardless of executing Playtones
:-)

I'm confused!

--Steve

Busy()

Sends a signal to inform the channel of a busy condition. This command
waits for the user to hang up; it does not continue execution of further
commands.

Note that this command does not actually play a busy tone to the user. If
you wish to do that, call Playtones(busy) before calling this command. For
most channels, the channel or the end device will take care of playing the
busy signal to the caller - in particular, with SIP phones they will play
their own Busy tone even if you have already called Playtones - it is
often better to just call Playtones(Busy) and not Busy();

exten => s,1,Answer          ; can't Playtones unless we answer first
exten => s,2,Playtones(busy) ; send the audio sequence that humans
understand means "busy"
exten => s,3,Busy            ; signal the other end that the line is busy.
Wait for hangup.