[Asterisk-Users] Automatic setup of calls between two externallines

Cullin J. Wible cwible at algorim.com
Tue Jul 26 16:45:48 MST 2005

I think you could accomplish this with EAGI or the manager interface. You
should also read:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+auto-dial+out

On a side note, we spent lots of time when we setup our Asterisk system
dealing with the answer detection for PSTN calls. We use Teliax for VoIP
traffic as well as a 4-port Digium FXO card. We have come to understand that
POTS lines can not accurately handle answer detection and that some of the
800 numbers (e.g. American Airlines, Staples, etc.) also pose problems even
for all-digital services (including T1 carriers).

We have had the most success placing PSTN calls if we Answer() the call
first and then Dial() the PSTN telephone number. This also allows VoIP users
to accurately hear telco messages (such as this number is not in service)
that happen before the channel is answered.

After weeks of debugging and testing I think that accurate answer detection
on the PSTN will be the most complicated part of what you are attempting to
do. Granted if you are calling a limited set of numbers you can probably
test it and see how it works but I would proceed with caution.

And just remember that this has nothing to do with Asterisk it is an
unfortunate part of the PSTN.

The better solution would be to call user 1 and play a repeated prompt
saying "Press # to initiate your connection". Then on DTMF# you would
initiate the second call. It's not elegant but it's bullet proof.

Hope that helps,

Cullin