[Asterisk-Users] super high bandwidth codec

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Jul 26 14:47:56 MST 2005

Geoff Manning wrote:

> I don't think thats right. I think it just uses iLBC over it's own
> proprietary Voip protocol.
>
> http://www.skype.com/help/faq/technical.html
> How much bandwidth does Skype use while I'm in a call?
>     Skype automatically selects the best codec depending on the connection
> between yourself and the person you are calling. On average, Skype uses
> between 3-16 kilobytes/sec depending on bandwidth available for other party,
> network conditions in between, callers CPU performance, etc.

I don't think that's correct.

I don't have the link to the Columbia paper where they tried (with only
mixed success) to figure out what all nefarious stuff Skype does
(hijacking port 80 being the most pernicious) but I'm pretty sure they
have figured out that if possible, it will use the (proprietary)
wideband version of iLBC.

B.