[Asterisk-Users] Sound Quality Problems

Robert Christian robert at composite-tech.com
Tue Jul 26 10:12:54 MST 2005

Thanks for reading this.  I've been pulling hair for days trying to resolve
this, and any help someone can give me would be very much appreciated.

I have an Asterisk box that is basically a P4-3GHz, a Digium-recommended
SuperMicro X5SSE-GM motherboard, 2GB RAM, 250GB IDE hard-drive with UDMA, a
SoundBlaster Live! 24 sound card, a Digium Wildcard TE110P, and a Digium
Wildcard TDM400P with 4 FXS modules.  Right now the Ethernet is hooked up
directly to a single VoIP phone (Grandstream GXP-2000).  I'm running kernel
2.6.12.3.

THE PROBLEM:  The problem I am having is when using the speakers hooked into
the SB Live! 24 card.  When I call through like an intercom (my intention)
and have the dialplan play an announcement (for testing purposes, I have
used both the included "you-sound-cute" and "lots-o-monkeys"), it's very
choppy - to the point of being laughably unacceptable.  Then when I talk
over the "intercom," my voice sounds just as choppy.  Interestingly enough,
when I go to the console and dial the demo included in the Asterisk sample
configuration files (which I left in for testing), the woman's voice sounds
fine (for 8KHz anyway).  But the demo is an IVR menu, and when I dial "2"
for more information (for example), it starts playing the next message - all
choppy.

I have read hundreds of mailing list posts and dozens of how-tos and
diagnostics suggestions online.  I've tweaked out motherboard settings,
kernel options, hard drive parameters, etc. with no success.  I've tried
literally dozens of ALSA configurations thinking that the problem could be
there.  I've focused on kernel and IRQ optimizing, ALSA configuration,
Asterisk configuration, and Zaptel configuration (in case it's a timing
problem) with no success.  I have been completely unable to resolve this
problem.  I have a PRI line on its way, but since "zttest" suggests the
internal timing of the TE110P is accurate within Digium specs, I don't think
external synchronization will help anything.

Maybe the SB Live! 24 isn't the best card to use for the console intercom on
this system.  But supposedly ALSA has full support for it.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Robert