[Asterisk-Users] CLI messages that are hard to understand

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jul 26 01:26:53 MST 2005

When you write code for Asterisk, you are in the middle of a piece of
code and you add debug, log and console messages that you need yourself
to figure out whether the patch works or not. As a user, some of these
messages may be hard to understand, especially since a many of them look
like "Ouch, that hurts"... :-)

Remember that DEBUG messages is not meant to assist end users, they are
there for developers to try to understand what happens in the core of
the code and to track down errors if they happen. They do not have to be
user-friendly at all, but still have to make some sense to developers.

WARNING messages tell you about a potential non-fatal problem. The call
will proceed, but quality may be affected or a change of configuration
could be necessary. These still need to be understandable.

Please mail me your favourite message that does not make any sense at
all and I'll see what I can do to improve it. I can't promise to do
anything or even answer your mail, but I will read all mails and try to
do my best to either fix them myself or ask people that actually
understand them or can be expected to have a clue about the original
intent of them to fix it. Make sure you add the complete line from the
console or log file, so I get the module name as well.

Thank you!

/O

PS. Remember to mail me off-list, no need to clutter the list with
this information!

----
Astricon 2005 - where the Asterisk community meets!
Anaheim, CA, October 12-14 - http://www.astricon.net