[Asterisk-Users] RE: Business Edition

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Jul 22 15:28:06 MST 2005

Steve Underwood [steveu at coppice.org] wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > 2.  Contributer shall report to Owner all changes and/or enhancements to
> > the Program which are covered by this Agreement, and (to the extent
> > known to Contributer) any outstanding rights, or claims of rights, of
> > any person, that might be adverse to the rights of Contributer or Owner.
> >
> > In other words, the _only_ code that the disclaimer covers is that
> > which the Contributer directly identifies to Digium to be covered by
> > the disclaimer. In absolutely no way does this disclaimer give Digium
> > the right to appropriate other changes the Contributer makes to the
> > covered programs without their knowledge and permission.
> >
> Well, yes, that's the idea. However, those of us who contribute don't
> generally provide any clear traceable definition of what we are
> contributing and what we are not. The documentation here is pretty woolly.

As I pointed out, paragraph 2 doesn't have any bearing upon what code
"the owner" is allowed to incorporate into the Asterisk Binary Edition;
That "non-cancellable right" is granted in paragraph 1.

The quoted paragraph (2) simply forces the person who signed the
document to report any changes to the Asterisk codebase.  In theory,
even minor changes that would be of no use to the wider community must
be reported to "the owner", who would make the final decision.

A fork followed by changes and/or enhancements to the code would be
covered by that paragraph - forever.  It's all very underhanded.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz