[Asterisk-Users] IAX over HTTP

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Jul 22 13:41:58 MST 2005

Eric Rees wrote:
> We have been running IAX through OpenVPN with SSL for 6 months without
> any trouble to Las Veags, and we are in Oklahoma.  Most of the time, IAX
> sounds better then the land line.

Would you have some packet captures ?

Or maybe some tcptrace 'run' over a capture file ?

I would still expect packet loss would be made much worse (side-effects
wise) in IAX over SSL than in plain UDP/someotherdatagram encapsulation.

Thinking about it, IAX endpoints would not see any packet loss, of
course, but the jitter would "appear" much worse from the receiver point
of view, since a packet loss would force the TCP stack to wait for the
retransmission before sending the "not lost" IAX packets to the
application, forcing whatever was sent ahead, to be queued in the
receive side for up to at least RTT (I guess, since the retransmit would
kick in after at least RTT..humm..too old to remember all TCP fancy stuff)..