[Asterisk-Users] Semi-Ot - Cisco IP Phone Password Reset Procedure

Cory Andrews Cory at VOIPSupply.com
Thu Jul 21 17:13:22 MST 2005

Our first problem dealt with the configuration being locked into the
phones. We could view the settings, but could not change them without a
password. Also, the phones are set with a Static IP address.  To
overcome this problem,  create a default Configuration file with a
password that you know and an image that would upgrade the phones firmware.
         Set up a laptop, running an TFTP program with all the Images
and configuration files from the Call Manager and set it to the address
of the TFTP server address the phones were looking for. Using a router,
in our case a 2610, with an NM-4E, I set one address in the router as
the gateway from the TFTP server address.

Example, The phones are set to look for a TFTP address of 192.168.0.10.
The Laptop is set with this address and a gateway of 192.168.0.1. One of
the ports on the router is set at 192.168.0.1 and connected directly to
the laptop.

     The second port is set to the IP address that the phones are set
to. Example, The phone's IP address is 198.162.10.152 with a gateway of
198.162.10.1. Setting another port on the router to this gateway as
well, 198.162.10.1 and connecting it to a switch created a mock network
from whence the phones first were configured.

      Once this is all set, hooking the phone up to this mock network
will cause the phone to contact the Laptop as the TFTP server and
download the new config and firmware. Once the phones complete the
firmware upgrade, the password will be set to what the default
configuration password was set to. Most cases is "cisco", but can be any
password set in the default configuration.

    From there, the phones configuration can be physically changed on
the phone and set to your normal TFTP address and Call Manager. If your
default firmware is different than the one already existing on the
phone, it will follow it's normal upgrade procedures again and register
to the Call Manager.

Cory Andrews
Partner / Purchasing
VOIPSupply.com