[Asterisk-Users] RE: Business Edition

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jul 21 16:24:59 MST 2005

Lee Howard wrote:

> Go ahead and have a proprietary fork, sell it, have it specially
> licensed.  But please, please, please treat the community fairly.
> Otherwise it causes unrest in the community, discourages contribution,
> encourages forking, and triggers forum threads like this one.

You seem to be neglecting the amount of work that Digium puts into the
Asterisk (and related) products on an ongoing basis that is given to the
community at no charge. Saying "Digium GPLed Asterisk and we're thankful
for that, now what" only makes sense if it happened one time and then
Digium stopped contributing to the source base.

I think the situation is much different from that (although I'm
obviously biased since I'm paid to work full-time on Asterisk by
Digium). Digium continues to pay people to provide enhancements to
Asterisk, Zaptel and the related projects, and those enhancements are
even used by companies that directly compete with Digium. We also very
strongly push our "custom development" customers in the direction of
letting us include the code we write for them into the open-source tree,
so that the community will benefit.

In other words, I think the contributions from Digium to the community
are ongoing, and in many ways more than offset the license that
contributors grant to us for the commercial use of their code in our
products. Your opinion may vary, of course :-)