[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and flash disks

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Jul 21 08:58:13 MST 2005

Paul Hewlett wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 July 2005 15:49, Angus Comber wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I see it is possible to buy Flash Disks up to 4GB now.  Has anyone any
>>experience of building an Asterisk system with a flash disk as the only
>>storage device?  Any brands you recommend?  Is 2 or 4GB enough for an
>>Asterisk installation?  Typically how many MB is required for voicemail
>>recording files for say a 10 user system? What about voicemail - I suppose
>>files could be emailed and deleted immediately?
>

> I have been using flash-based asterisk and it works fine as long as you are
> careful about the maker - SanDisk did not work properly, we currently use the
> RiData flash disk and are happy with it. I have a Kingston Tech flash disk
> that was flaky and finally failed yesterday.
>
> They are not the fastest - running hdparm -tT on them reveals a speed of 2Mb/s
> which is about a third of the speed of 100Mbits ethernet. For call recording
> I usually add an IDE hard drive and make sure that most filesystems
> (e.g. /var,/tmp..) are loaded into a RAM disk
>
> Paul Hewlett

Paul,

	SanDisk CF cards are often considered to be the best around.  What
problems were you having?

	CF is both slow and fast.  Seek times are very low, but sustained data
transfer rates are not very good (ESPECIALLY for writes).  2Mb/s is
actually more like 1/4 - 1/5 the speed of 100mbps ethernet...

	Are you aware that I have created a distro specifically for running
Asterisk from compact flash?  Perhaps you should take a look:

http://www.astlinux.org

--
Kristian Kielhofner