[Asterisk-Users] How to send Fax from Asterisk

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Thu Jul 21 05:48:36 MST 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Vic wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I had Tom Rymes and several others suggest how I can implement
> sending fax using Asterisk. The idea is to have On-Demand-Fax.
>
> Unfortunately, I wrote down the wrong workflow: the real one is:
>

> 1. Person will call our phone number
> 2. He will be asked to press 1 for   Office 1 map, 2 for Office 2
> map and 3 for Office 3 map.
> 3. User presses 1.
>
> 4. User is asked to enter his phone number.
>
> 5. User enters his phone number and hangs up.
>
> 6. Asterisk calls the number entered by user and sends a fax.
>
> Can it be done?

Yes. My earlier suggestion still stands:

1.) Install Hylafax and connect it with a T1 or analog modem,
depending on your volume needs. You should not send hylafax calls
through your asterisk server, AFAICT.
2.) Set up the extension in your dialplan to do what you mention
above, take the appropriate map file (in TIF format, or PS) and the
entered phone number and then call Hylafax's sendfax program from
your dialplan with the correct map filename and the entered phone
number as arguments.
3.) Lather, rinse, repeat if needed.

Tom