[Asterisk-Users] Alternatives to Digium 729

Wed Jul 20 18:30:04 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 13:47 -0500, Matthew Boehm wrote:
> Per my conversation below with digium, are there any legal alternatives
> to digium's G729? It is out of date, and doesn't support VAD nor silence
> detection.

Well, I guess it supports what it is supposed to, ie, g729a :) since the
required features for g729a do not include those items, then the codec
is perfectly up to date :)

> Digium has stated that they have no plans to update it anytime soon.

You mean no plans on implementing a new codec which supports g729b ?

> Is there anyone out there with news on VAD/Silence support in Asterisk?

Evidently not, but if you really want it, post a bounty on the wiki, and
an email here about it. I'm sure you would attract other people willing
to contribute to the bounty....

You might also ask digium to give you some sort of 'quote/estimate' for
implementing this, then when you post the bounty, you can include how
much you need to raise in order for digium to actually do the work.
Probably before you get as much money as you need, someone else from the
asterisk community would implement the asterisk components for less than
$200/hour :) Then you can just get digium to update the codec which will
probably be relatively easy ....

Of course, I don't know everything :)

PS, alternatively, use some sort of translation device which will
convert your * SIP ulaw -> Translator SIP g729b -> supplier.....

Regards,
Adam