[Asterisk-Users] RE: Business Edition

Aidan Van Dyk aidan at highrise.ca
Wed Jul 20 14:49:32 MST 2005

Kevin Walsh wrote:

> One piece of good news can be found here:
>
>     http://www.asterisk.org/index.php?menu=summer_of_code
>
> The requirements say nothing about being asked to sign a "disclaimer",
> so perhaps either Google have views on this sort of practice, or people
> will be quietly rejected, during the interview process, based upon their
> willingness to have their source code closed.  I suspect the latter,
> which would not make it good news after all.

No, but the faq does mention:
  What license may the programs be developed under?
    Any that the mentoring organization chooses that are still free or open
    source. Also, all software development must happen in the open, on a
    website like SourceForge, Tigris, Savannah, Apache, or Berlios.

So, if Google is sponsoring the code (that makes it work-for-hire), and
they've said that it has to be "free or open source", how does that relate
to Digums ability to use it in non-libre products?  Or has Digium worked
out an agreement with Google that will give them an exclusive licence to
the code as well?