[Asterisk-Users] Calls going out on the same channel?

Peter Hsu peter at linkupservice.com
Tue Jul 19 06:12:38 MST 2005

I'm having some weird behavior happening with my current configuration.

I'm running asterisk 1.0.9 and I've tried placing outbound calls using the
Originate action in the Manager API.

I'm following directions from the voip-info wiki on placing a call from an
outgoing channel.

1st action:

Action: Originate
Channel: Local/18661234567+1234 at outgoing          ; This now matches
_1NXXNXXXXXX+XXXX at outgoing (the appended 4 digits are just so i can debug
the channels better)
Context: default                                                          ;
The context that will
Exten: 1001

2nd action:

Action: Originate
Channel: Local/18661234567+4321 at outgoing          ; This now matches
_1NXXNXXXXXX+XXXX at outgoing (the appended 4 digits are just so i can debug
the channels better)
Context: default                                                          ;
The context that will
Exten: 1001

extensions.conf snippet:

[outgoing]
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX+XXXX,1,NoCDR()
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX+XXXX,2,SetVar(RECEIVER_PHONE=${EXTEN:0:11})
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX+XXXX,3,GoTo(provider_name,s,1)

[provider_name]
exten => s,1,NoCDR()
exten => s,2,Dial(IAX2/myusername:mysecret at x.x.x.x/${RECEIVER_PHONE}|65)

[someone_picked_up]
exten => 1001,1,Festival(${message})
exten => 1001,2,Prompt(bye)
exten => 1001,3,Hangup()

(I'm using it to send myself voice alerts, triggered by various events - in
case anyone's cares)

Everything seems fine and dandy if I generate a single call to myself.  It
calls me up, I get placed into the appropriate channel, and I get the TTS
message.

However, if I've generated a second call after the first call, I'll get some
strange behavior when I receive the call.

Here's the behavior I expect:
1.  I generate first Manager action
2.  Asterisk box calls my cell phone
3.  I pick up the call
4.  I generate second Manager action
5.  Asterisk box calls my cell phone
6.  I get another incoming call on my cell phone (allowing me to use call
waiting to answer the other call)

However, at 6, instead of the second call coming in as another call, I get
the "call waiting beeping" noise on my phone, but no option for call
waiting.  It just keeps beeping in the background..

When the asterisk box finishes execution of the initial originate action,
instead of my phone getting disconnected, it starts execution from
1001 at someone_picked_up as if I'd just picked up the phone again.

However, if I hang up call the call when I'm still in the first action, My
phone will start rining.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with my phone (treo650), but I'm
not entirely sure.  This might simply be because I don't really know
asterisk very well right now.  Maybe this is the intended behavior?  Maybe
this is a provider thing?  Maybe it's my cell phone provider service?

I'd love some insight into this so I can ensure that I'm always going out on
a unique channel,

Thanks,
Peter Hsu