[Asterisk-Users] G.729 licensing

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Jul 18 22:10:14 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 23:45 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> 	Ethernet (specifically mentioned over and over here) does NOT handle
> duplicate MAC addresses very well.  At the very minimum, you would knock
> at least one of your "cloned" Asterisk machines off of the network,
> pretty much defeating the purpose of the scam in the first place.

not totally true, it is on paper, but implementation doesnt always mean
the same thing as paper.  I have had multiple systems with the same mac
address on the same network for other purposes and did not have problems
with those systems talking to each other or other devices on the network
as a general rule.  Same MAC different IP.  I have seen some switches
freak out becuase the same mac addr is on multiple ports and it doesnt
know which one to send it to.

The original thing I said that resulted in 'wow anyway' as the most
clever response I have seen in a while did include methods that would
have enabled one to defeat the MAC address checking without actually
changing the MAC address, again proving that copy protection is largely
a waste of time from a technical standpoint, but not one from a business
standpoint.  Personally I dont think that digium would care if everyone
had G729 but the patent holder does, so they must respect those wishes.

As for what digium was going for I think they were doing what they had
to so they wont be sued since they dont own the patent and have to pay
someone and we live in a sue happy society.  No matter what they did
there would be a way of defeating it, some just require less skill to
defeat.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378