[Asterisk-Users] G.729 licensing - Hardware Devices rather than software

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Jul 18 20:37:30 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 22:19 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> 	While I do appreciate the lesson in system calls, what does any of this
> have to do with the g729 codec?  :) Digium's G729 codec (and
> registration program) binds your license key to the MAC addresses of the
> ethernet adapters in the system.  Even then you can register to three
> different sets of MAC addresses before you have to contact Digium to
> have your key reset.  What do IP addresses have to do with anything?

if you  read what I said you would understand why I referenced IP
addresses, which I assumed, aparently incorrectly that is the call they
used (becuase it has been a standard call for licensing for at least 2
decades).  As for the mac address ok that just makes it simplier to deal
with since the app doesnt directly interface with the hardware (the
kernel does) it is trivial to set the mac addr to whatevr you want
(ifconfig does this with many drivers) which makes it an even more moot
point than having to have code to 'play' as the original author wanted.

Just gotta watch that you dont have two with  the same mac addr in some
networks (some systems and network devices dont care enough others
completly come unglued).

> 	Wow.  Anyways...

good response for someone that had to be explained yet again why I said
what I said because of their inability to read in the first place.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378