[Asterisk-Users] Codecs and bandwidth

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Mon Jul 18 14:26:11 MST 2005

You are correct. Bandwidth is bidirectional. All those references
mentioned in the thread may be misleading. However, the bottom line
is that it does use 64Kbps up/down plus overhead. This does not mean
that to transport a single conversation you need ~150Kbps. You simply
need to make sure your upload and download capacity have at least
~75Kbps available.

In the case of most standard DSL services (and even cable broadband)
sold in the US, the service sold is Asymmetrical. For these
scenarios, Dan's explanation should suffice.

For most dedicated Internet services (such as T1, fractional T1s,
Ethernet, etc), the capacity is Symmetrical. In the case of a full T1
of Internet service, you can assume you could transport ~20
simultaneous calls (~75Kbps x 20 = ~1500Kbps), which, unfortunately,
turns out to give you less capacity than a channelized T1 or even a
PRI using standard trunk services. I guess, at this point you need to
evaluate codec use and a couple of other factors in order to maximize
your capacity.

- Waldo