[Asterisk-Users] Codecs and bandwidth

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Mon Jul 18 11:08:10 MST 2005

I've seen several references to 'simplex' ulaw using 64k + overhead and
'duplex' ulaw using 64k+overhead+64k+overhead (I wished that site was up).

Coming from this page:
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bandwidth+consumption, the
following line strikes me:

(from near the top of the page) ... So even if one voice call sets up
two 64 Kbit RTP streams over UDP over IP over Ethernet...

Also, other pages from the wiki seem to talk about this as well when
computing bandwidth.

Is it because there are 2 RTP streams that don't know anything about
each other, hence the 2x64k? Why would ISDN be any different?

Thanks,
Tim

BTW I am assuming that this has very little to do with the D channel in
ISDN since the call has already been setup via SIP ..