[Asterisk-Users] Difference between Asterisk and Asterisk@home

Jeff Busch Jeff.Busch at lewisbuilds.com
Mon Jul 18 10:35:17 MST 2005

my $0.02...

I have implemented *@H 0.9 in a Real Estate/Legal office with 6 phones
and 3 incoming lines using TDM04B card and Polycom/Sipura phones.

I am about to implement 3 more systems (*@H 1.3) for a construction
company.  One will be 6 phones and 4 PSTN lines using SPA-3000 ATA's.
The second will be 2x TDM04B connecting to 6 lines to start with 10
Polycom IP-501 phones.  The third system has not yet been designed. but
will be 4 lines and 6 - 7 phones.

The Real Estate system is running *@H 0.9 and has been running for 59
days since the last reboot, which I did when I added the Polycom phones.
This is a fairly light-use system averaging about 1700 minutes/mo in
usage.  It is setup to have an Auto-Attendant when no one is present and
to have the phones answered live when the receptionist is at her desk.
I setup a "* + number" code for the receptionist to dial to toggle the
Auto-attendant.

As of yet I have not run into any problems running the one system in
production, and we are confident in the other 3 systems that are about
to be implemented.  The systems that will be implemented soon will have
pretty high call volume, as these are for a construction job trailers on
pretty large scale projects.

I started off by exploring Asterisk and actually built a couple of test
systems without using *@H.  I was able to figure out the configurations
and actually had no problems setting up the test systems (for me it was
pretty simple even though I had never touched linux before).  I created
a set of config files that I was going to copy from server to server to
aid the implementation, and I was ready to build the server for the Real
Estate office...

Then, I ran across *@H and after playing with it a little bit determined
that it provided a quicker setup process and provided all the features
that we would need.  Clearly, there are some things that are easier to
do without *@H due to the limitations provided by AMP... but I have
found that for these small office implementations, this has not been an
issue.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Busch
busch.consult at gmail.com