[Asterisk-Users] Transcoding problems

Martin Sutherland martin at ukgastech.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 09:14:18 MST 2005

I have just purchased 20 licenses for the G729a codec from digium and set about changing the defaults to use this codec in all cases to reduce the bandwidth requirements (all my SIP devices support this codec). To my dismay I then find that calls coming from SIP devices to the outside via the chan_capi channel no longer work and give the message "no translator path exists for channel type CAPI (native 8) to 256". I understood that Asterisk would transcode between different codecs? In fact only two of my SIP users are allowed access to the outside via a BRI interface, but I now have to set them to always use g711a/u just in case they make a call via the chan_Capi. I am using chan_capi-cm-0.5.3