[Asterisk-Users] Passing DTMF Transparently

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jul 18 07:13:53 MST 2005

> > 	Does anyone know if it is possible to setup asterisk such that
> > it passes DTMF Tones through from One channel to the next transparently.
>
> I don't believe this is possible, no. If you are using all Zap channels
> (TDM cards) and don't enable _any_ DTMF-controlled features in the
> Dial() application, it might work this way, but not intentionally
> (meaning it could change in the future) :-)

I'm not the OP, but based on 20+ years of detailed engineering
experience for a large US telco, the defacto stardard for all analog
telephony gear is to pass dtmf inband once a call is considered
answered.

Given the OP's stated objective, there would not appear to be any
realistic way to accomplish his objective without resorting to 100%
inband beginning with the originating phone (sip or otherwise), which
he is not going to be able to accomplish with sip phones while also
maintaining other compatibilities.

Also, since there are a large number of commercial pbx's that use
electronic phones and pbx-controllled dtmf generation (whose timing is
not under user control), whatever design the OP is looking for won't
work with a large number of production pbx's. Therefore, the OP's design
needs to change as opposed to modifying * to accomplish the objective.