[Asterisk-Users] Validating a phone number

Peter Hsu peter at linkupservice.com
Sun Jul 17 00:01:53 MST 2005

I'm concerned about people dialing out of our asterisk server to numbers
they shouldn't be dialing.

Is there a concrete algorithm for determining whether a phone number is
"normal".  i.e. calling this phone number would result in a normal long
distance rate.

It seems like the pattern 1NXXNXXXXXX for the U.S. is fairly commonly used,
but it wouldn't catch erroneous phone numbers such as "1411XXXXXXX" (and the
other X11 numbers)

Is it just a matter of checking for these invalid area codes?  If so, is
there a list anywhere that I could check against?

I tried googling this topic, but it's hard to find anything with such common
keywords.  If anyone can direct me to a good resource, I'd appreciate it as
well.

On athe same topic, I'm worried about area codes like 809.  Are there any
other such area codes that should be avoided?

Thanks,
Peter Hsu