[Asterisk-Users] beginners question about extension context

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii rudolfl at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 16 22:20:25 MST 2005

Hi, all

I have couple of SIP phones and they are in [from-sip] context.
I also have an IAX2 phone. I have put this one in [iax-user] context.

I want to make calls between SIP and IAX2 phones. If I put them all in same
context all is fine, however when they are in different contexts they will
not call each other and I will get message (in * CLI) that particular
extension does not exist in a given context

Here are my contexts definitions:

[from-sip]
exten =>101,1,Dial(SIP/phone1)
exten =>102,1,Dial(SIP/phone2)
exten =>103,1,Dial(SIP/phone3)

[iax-user]
exten=>201,1,Dial(IAX2/phone4)
exten=>202,1,Dial(IAX2/phone5)

If I try to call from IAX2 phone to say ext 102, I get "request
'102 at iax-user' does not exist"
I have tried to include iax-user in from-sip and I can make calls from SIP
phones to IAX2 ones, but not the other way around.

Now for an interesting bit.
If I include "from-sip" in tthe "iax-user", all is working fine -- I can
make calls in any directions.

If I try to do "cross-include" where one context is included into another
and vise versa, IAX2 phone does not even register.

Is there a better than include way to route calls between contexts?

Thanks,
Rudolf